About Me

Buffalo, New York
Approximately 100 Million Americans are obese, and I am one of them. Now that I'm married with two young children, I'm starting to take my health more seriously. But while I've been converting steaks and chicken wings into love-handles and a gut, close to a Billion People Worldwide have been going hungry... What if we could do something about both problems?
I've started this blog to chronicle my own weight-loss and efforts to raise money and awareness to battle global hunger. If weight is an issue for you, I hope you'll join me; and if it's not, I hope you'll support me or someone like me as we work to lose weight so others can gain it.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Week 5 (Unofficial)

Well, my 'weeks' are a little off... I had been doing updates on Wednesdays but then my official weigh-in was on Saturday and I don't even know what day of the week I'm ending on... Maybe I'll start keeping track of the days and just label the posts that way, or maybe I'll just starting using the date instead of the number of weeks. So, however I end up doing that, here's an update:

My Current Weight: 330 pounds
Change this Week: lost 10 pounds
Total Change: lost 39 pounds

My Current Pledges: $82.75 per pound
Amount Raised: $3227.25 or over 12,000 meals!

After 5 weeks, I'm more than halfway to my 6 month goal! (And almost down to where I thought my starting weight was.) My overall weightloss goal is about 120-130 pounds; I thought that was going to be like a 1 or 2 year goal but, the way things are going, losing 100 pounds in 6 months seems like it might be a real possibility. I think after 3 months I might give people the option to pay their pledges on what I've lost up to that point and (hopefully, but optionally) make a new pledge for the last 3 months. Some people were very generous, even sacrificial, with their pledges and, while I'd like to challenge people to be engaged in fighting hunger, I don't want to overburden anyone with a total that's 50% or more higher than they anticipated.

Also, if you're trying to lose weight and/or doing something to help the hungry eat, I'd love to hear about it- I think hearing about each others successes and sharing our failures can be a huge encouragement for all of us (and maybe for people who are thinking about doing something but haven't yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment